Re: [squid-users] Squid terminates when my network goes down

From: Peter Olsson <pol_at_leissner.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:31:54 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:05:45AM +0000, Jenny Lee wrote:

> > > How can you expect *machineS* to get a response from squid if network is down?
> >
> > Proxy server. Squid accepts clients on inside interface and
> > connects to internet servers on outside interface.
> > Outside interface goes down with inside interface still alive.
> >
> > I would actually like to have the problem/feature below, since
> > that would mean no clients get stuck at the nonfunctioning squid
> > instead of moving to the next squid in the roundrobin failover.
>

> If you read the original post, he mentions squid terminating when network goes down.

Yes. I have had the case that the outside interface is
nonfunctioning, but squid is still up and accepts clients
on the inside interface. Squid then becomes a black hole
for client traffic, so I would prefer a terminating squid
in that case.

> No clients get stuck at the nonfunctioning squid in a cache-hierarcy. They would move on to the next one as is, since that one is already marked as dead and removed from roundrobin pool. So that feature is built-in already (if I am not misunderstanding your scenario).

No cache-hierarchy, just several redundant squid servers on
the same level. Roundrobin is handled by internal DNS, which
has multiple A-records for the hostname "proxy".

Peter Olsson