Re: [squid-users] no tproxy setting only if direct access

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 22:46:19 +1200

On 21/07/11 20:55, Mikio Kishi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that it's convenient to apply no-tproxy setting only if direct
> accessing using tproxy. (For example, when we would like to do tproxy
> only if cache peer access)
> The image is similar to the "no-tproxy" of "cache_peer". Just like the
> following
>
> tproxy_direct on/off (default on)

Problems:
  * broken IP-based security assumptions on popular websites (ie hotmail)
  * transparent/invisible proxy machine becomes visible to remote server
systems
  * proxy targeted DoS attacks become easy
  * all NAT problems are re-enabled

What benefits do you see this having?

Noting that the no-tproxy option on cache_peer exists to prevent a
handful of triangular-routing and security trust issues when passing
traffic between peers. Which do not occur on DIRECT traffic unless the
network routers or Squid have been badly configured.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.9