Re: [squid-users] DNS lookup error

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:07:03 +1300

On 15/01/2013 8:18 a.m., dweimer wrote:
> On 2013-01-14 12:47, Loïc BLOT wrote:
>> You must set and append_domain for FQDN use:

Or, configure the system /etc/resolv.conf to supply the local network
domain suffix(es) properly.

If your Squid is not using that correctly, please upgrade. They have all
done it for some years now.

>> Le lundi 14 janvier 2013 à 18:47 +0100, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've got a weird issue I have no starting point:
>>> Squid 3.0 is running as a transparent proxy on one host. When I
>>> lookup a
>>> localhost e.g. mail (like in mail.example.com) I've got a IP, but
>>> when I
>>> ask Squid to connect to http://mail it's just giving me an DNS-error.
>>> I've set dns_nameservers with a valid DNS as well as
>>> visible_hostname to
>>> the name of the host running Squid. How is DNS resolving working on
>>> Squid and how I maybe can debug this?

There are a ot of mistakes in the above statement.
- *the* localhost is not the same as *a* local host (note the space).
- "mail" is not a domain name, it is a host name.

Squid attempts to lookup "mail" (which does not exist, then
mail.whatever, where whatever is the list of domain suffixes found in
the /etc/esolv.conf "domain" entry or "search" list.

Amos