[squid-users] Re: Squid 3.2.6 & hot object cache

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 02:48:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ralf,

when you have new machines to play with, first of all I would try to
optimize a solid conf. Just to have a reference system, the potentially
better ones can be compared to.
As I wrote already, selection and tuning of the FS to be used for the
cache-disk(s) is quite some research, but worth to be done, at least for my
special requirements. For me it also was some learning phase regarding the
tools, LINUX has available to measure I/Os, response times etc. Or to dig
into the descriptions of functionalities of ext2, ext3, ext4 :-) Quite a
foggy functionality, just the start of try-and-error mods to the various
options.

For example, with respect of caching performance, it is not a good idea to
use the elaborate journaling options of ext4, which might even be default.
At least not, in case you have (dedicated) caching disk(s), where "some"
data-loss in worst case is acceptable.

May be, just to use 50% of the available disk space for caching of such an
optimized, solid config.
And then, to use the second 50% for an identical config, with the only
difference of using Rock.