[squid-users] Caching dynamic content, trading between HTTP versions

From: Andrea Aime <andrea.aime_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:14:09 +0200

Hi,
I'm trying to stand up a multi-level cache of dynamically generated content and
having some design issues with inconsistent version of HTTP protocol used
before and after the cache.

Basically, I have a webapp that generates dynamic content for which
it's possible
to create an ETag, and handle appropriately the If-None-Modified
validation requests,
but where we don't have enough information to handle a If-Modified-Since request
instead.
So basically, we need the cache to talk HTTP 1.1 with the webapp.

So far so good. Now enter a second level of caching, a CDN made with cloudfront,
and here is the gotcha: cloudfront only supports HTTP 1.0 requests towards the
origin, which in this case would be Squid.

So I'm wondering, is Squid able to trade between the two worlds, basically
have it so that cloudfront makes a if-modified-since validation request, and
Squid somehow turns into into a if-none-modified towards the dynamic webapp?
Pretty new to caches, so no idea if the thing is feasible at all.

Any other suggestion about how this could be handled?

Cheers
Andrea