Re: [squid-users] Requiring C++11 support (Was: Squid 3.4.5 is available)

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 11:15:31 -0600

On 05/06/2014 12:52 AM, Martin Sperl wrote:

> Out of curiosity: which features of c++11 do you want to use to
> make gcc 4.8 an absolute requirement for the next major release?

IMO, none. As Amos have mentioned, C++11 offers a few development
convenience/safety features and some performance improvements, but none
of them are an "absolute requirement for the next major release". FWIW,
I was also surprised by the approaching C++11 requirement announcement.

This is not my area of expertise, but I consider compiler requirements
different from autoconf requirements that were also discussed on this
thread. When it comes to autoconf, bootstrapping folks running on older
machines (e.g., RHEL5) have a few acceptable options. For example, it is
not very difficult to install the right autoconf/etc versions from
sources locally and bootstrap Squid using them (in a user account on the
same RHEL5 machine or elsewhere). This is annoying, but does not affect
many admins, does not affect overall system operation, does not
introduce a lot of unknowns, and does not conflict with most local policies.

Installing a custom compiler version or cross-compiling is a much bigger
problem on many levels IMHO.

Cheers,

Alex.