Re: [squid-users] Error restarting squid from RPM

From: Fernando Lozano <fernando_at_lozano.eti.br>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 11:40:17 -0300

Hi Cinaed,

> The problem as I see it is there needs to be timeout (or a wait) between
> stop and start in restart.
>
> The stop branch returns immediately and then executes the start branch
> which sees the pid file (since the controlling squid is waiting for the
> children to complete their processes) and claims squid already running
> and exits.
No, stop won't return immediately. It waits for the control process to
stop, but it waits for a limited amount of time. So when stop returns to
restart, squid may still be alive. That's why I propose using the stop
function own return code on restart: if stop says it returned by
timeout, restart shouldn't start.

> So when the controlling squid finally stops and removes the pid file the
> start branch has already exited and the server doesn't restart.
>
> I'm not an expert on squid but I would not recommend removing the pid
> file before squid controller has exited.
I guess the script removes the pid file because squid may have been
killed without a change to clean after himself. Other CentOS init
scripts do the same.

[]s, Fernando Lozano