Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy and SSL Bump: Advice and Questions

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 18:42:02 +1200

On 25/05/2014 8:07 p.m., John Gardner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’d like some advice regarding the using SSL Bump functionality with
> Squid, and ask some questions regarding whether I correctly understand
> what SSL Bump is designed to do. First, however, I’d like describe
> what I’m looking to do so you have some background.

<snip>
> Now, at the moment, this functionality is covered by a Microsoft TMG
> instance which uses what they call 'SSL Bridging'. For a number of
> reasons, we now want to upgrade the Squid Reverse Proxy to 3.4 and
> decommission the Microsoft TMG server, so my first question is this;
> Does the SSL Bump functionality in Squid 3.4 replicate the SSL
> Bridging process i.e. The client sends an encrypted request, Squid
> then decrypts the request (A), encrypts it again (B), and forwards it
> to the Web Server. The Web server returns the encrypted object to the
> Squid server, decrypts the object (B), encrypts it again (A), and
> sends it to the client. This is shown below;
> +------------------+
> | |
> | |
> Browser ----- HTTPS (SSL) Connection -----------+ +--------- HTTPS
> (SSL) Connection ----- Web Server
> | | | |
> | A B |
> | |
> +------------------+
> Squid Reverse Proxy
>

> Firstly, I'd just like to confirm that the functionality in SSL Bump
> works as above and then I can decide how to go forward.

No it does not. SSL-bump is the process of forging the certificate.

What you have described about is regular HTTPS.

> I am aware of
> the ethical considerations of using this method and that effectively
> it is just a 'managed' man-in-the-middle attack, but I can't really
> think of any other way to get this to work without it.

A reverse-proxy run as part of the website itself has no forging, MITM,
 egal or ethical problems.
 * Clients make regular HTTPS connections directy to the CDN /
reverse-proxy.
 * The proxy makes regular HTTPS connections to the origin/master server.

What you need to do is add the "ssl" option to your cache_peer line in
squid.conf. <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_peer/>

Amos