[mark@reynolds.net.au: Re: [WAIX] squid 2.4 ?]

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:27:00 +0800

hi guys,

Can someone cache-digest-clued see if what Mark is seeing
is what happens?

Adrian, not running any live squids now

----- Forwarded message from Mark Reynolds <mark@reynolds.net.au> -----

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:18:51
To: Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>
From: Mark Reynolds <mark@reynolds.net.au>
Subject: Re: [WAIX] squid 2.4 ?

Hi Adrian,

Would it be true to say, that when using cache digests
only, and having say a dozen peers, that the top peers
get more 'action' than the lower peers, because the
first digest indicating a hit, gets the request?

This is not very good, as it means that the main load
is dumped onto the peers at the top of the peer list,
and they get overloaded more than if the load was
spread evenly across all peers with the objects.

Is this true? Can it be fixed to be even handed?

mark.

At 11:42 28/03/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 28, 2001, Mark Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Anyone done the
>> 'squid 2.4 on production proxy server'
>> thing yet?
>>
>> Looks like it has gone to the stable tree now.
>>
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.4/
>
>There are a couple of little bugs that have been fixed
>since stable1. I'll sit down with Henrik/Duane rsn to get
>a set of patches. You can try the latest squid-2.4
>snapshot, which has the little fixes in it.
>
>Oh, if you use FreeBSD - the squid24 port is currently
>broken for diskd. Thats on my todo list as well. :-)
>
>Other than the above, I've had quite a lot of positive
>feedback from squid-2.4 users. :-)
>

>Adrian
>

>--
>Adrian Chadd "The fact you can download a 100 megabyte file
><adrian@creative.net.au> from half way around the world should be viewed
> as an accident and not a right."
> -- Adrian Chadd and Bill Fumerola
>
>--

---
Mark Reynolds
Managing Director    Reynolds Technology Pty Ltd
Phone 1300 656 424   http://www.reynolds.net.au
Phone 08 9474 1211   mailto:mark@reynolds.net.au
Fax   08 9474 9592   PO Box 945 South Perth 6951 WA
Pager 08 9480 5884   19 Lyall St South Perth 6151 WA
ABN 73 078 831 740   ACN 078 831 740
----- End forwarded message -----
--
Adrian Chadd			Yeah, for me its (XML) like the movie Titanic.
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  Everybody loves it.