Re: [mark@reynolds.net.au: Re: [WAIX] squid 2.4 ?]

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:02:07 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Can someone cache-digest-clued see if what Mark is seeing
> is what happens?

Yes and no. Cache digest peer selection scans through all peers and
selects the best HIT peer based on round-trip time measurement (if
available). If no RTT measurements available, Squid selects the "next"
HIT peer since last scan. This "next" selection code is a bit iffy
(based on a global first_ping variable used by several peer selection
algorithms) and might attribute to uneven selection. Not sure. See
neighbors.c::neighborsDigestSelect().

Clearly neighbor selection code can be improved to make peer selection
algorithms more independent from each other and "cascade-able" so, for
example, one can configure Squid to use round robin _after_ cache
digests have selected HIT peers. IIRC, Henrik had some grand ideas
about improving this code.

Enabling level-5 debugging of section 15 will trace
neighborsDigestSelect() actions.

Alex.