ICP Port

From: Chris Galanos <cgalanos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:43:08 -0500

My goal is to have 2 parent caches. Both use a product for MS Proxy and
I have squid setup to have them as parents so everything goes through
them and my squid machine to filter things out. Here's my question. I
don't think I am totally understanding the concept of ICP. Obviously
I want it to make UDP requests to both of the parents to see which one
is fastest, yet I want it to rely on one of the parents if the other
goes down. In other worlds say I have:

cache_host cache.domain.com parent 8080 0

If I add another parent machine. For Example, cache_host
cache2.domain.com parent 8080 0 .. will it still query both boxes and
refer to the one that works without having a ICP port setup and using 0
for the ICP port number? I can't think of a reason why I need to
implement it. I just want my 2 boxes that are exactly the same to be
used for caching yet if one dies everything else doesnt die because that
one is dead. Hopefully if squid sent a UDP request and it didn't
respond it would just refer to the parent domain below it, and take
normal procedure? Am I on the right track? If so do I have to have ICP
port up for the machine to check to see if the other parent caches are
responding?

Thanks ahead of time,

Chris