RE: [squid-users] Instant Messaging on Exchange 2000 with Squid

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:59:15 -0700 (PDT)

oliver.. i thought your squid is going to be working mainly for your HTTP requests.... other needs such as Instant Messenger don't have to be routed through squid... u can use IP Masq here that comes with UNIX and use private IPs on the clients to chat... UNIX will take care of routing the messages to the other parties, regardless of a working squid or not.. squid will only handle ya web requests...

regards.. AKNIT

--- "Andy Stranks" <andy.stranks@dial.pipex.com>
> wrote:
>Olivier,
>
>IM clients tell the server the local workstations IP address when they
>connect, the server then uses this to send any messages for the user. It is
>therefore necessary for the user to have an Internet routable address,
>something I guess they won't have if you are considering using Squid for the
>connection.
>
>If anyone has a fix for this please let me know as I'd like to do the same
>thing.
>
>Regards
>
>Andy Stranks

Be different Get yourself a Globenetcafe.net email ID
Uganda's Newest internet cafe www.globenetcafe.net