RE: [squid-users] Random dropping of requests

From: Mohsin Khan <aaghaz00@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:33:18 -0700 (PDT)

I had this issue once, same behavior...amazing:)
though i never troubleshoot it as I never get a
chance, but well what I have researched is , it could
be like any of the client browsers that is sending
some bad request. Oh now i remeber applogiies, check
the network for any virus, are you using any
masqurading technique, is that squid box is also
acting as a gateway, When this happens, just plug out
the Network Cable you should see a certain drop in CPU
load, that means squid is processing some thing that
is coming through network, I am sure applying a
sniffer and checking for Virus in your network will
solve this issue. And for debugging point of view,
keep the simplest squid.conf
--- Scott Phalen <scott@sphalen.com> wrote:

> <I have just taken charge of a squid machine that
> has been showing some
> <strange behaviour for the last few weeks. For one
> thing, cpu usage on
> <average is above 80% which seems abnormally high,
> even taking into
> <account the high traffic (about 2000 hits per
> minute).
> <
> <Secondly, all traffic randomly stops for anywhere
> between a few seconds
> <and 20 minutes. Restarting squid during this time
> brings it back up, but
> <this isn't feasable when we have to do it a few
> times a day. Even if I
> <don't restart manually, it becomes available again
> by itself, but the
> <downtime is too costly.
> <
> <Nothing unusual shows up in cache_log, access_log
> or any of the system
> <logs. Our network monitor also confirms that this
> isn't a network issue
> <and that requests are going to the proxy during the
> outages.

> Last week I had this same issue with close to the
> same traffic as you. I
> tried installing a new OS, newer/older version of
> squid and still had the
> same issue. I took the squid.conf during the high
> CPU load and commented
> out every ACL and basically allowed all to pass
> thru. I then turned on each
> ACL one at a time and found one of my ACLs was
> causing the CPU load. Not
> exactly sure why it caused the issue but all has
> been well for a week now.
>
> Regards,
> Scott

=====
Regards,
Mohsin Khan
CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Associate 2.0 )
http://pk.aaghaz.net