[squid-users] Parent proxy without ICP

From: Philipp Leusmann <philipp.leusmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:38:38 +0100

Hi,

I have set up a transparent squid for my LAN which works great without a
parent cache. I would now like to use the parent cache of my provider
but it doesn´t seem to support ICP.
As far as I have understood, when using a parent cache squid first
checks if the parent cache has the request cached and if not forward the
request to the original site and caches the returned objects. Correct?
This makes sense when using ICP.
But since I would like to limit requests going through my internet
uplink I think, without ICP, it would make sense to first look up an
object in the local cache. If it doesn´t exist locally forward the
request to the parent cache which takes then care if it has cached the
object and maybe forwards the request to the original site. I would then
need squid to cache the returned objects locally no matter if they come
from the original site or the parent cache.
Would that be possible? Is this the behaviour of a sibling cache
eventually? In some FAQ I read that sibling caches should not be located
towards the route to the internet, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks,
 Philipp