Re: [squid-users] Parent proxy without ICP

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:38:30 +0100

On 18.02.07 14:38, Philipp Leusmann wrote:
> I have set up a transparent squid for my LAN which works great without a
> parent cache. I would now like to use the parent cache of my provider
> but it doesn´t seem to support ICP.

try if it supports HTCP. Ask your ISP. Also, ask if it supports cache
digests.

> As far as I have understood, when using a parent cache squid first
> checks if the parent cache has the request cached and if not forward the
> request to the original site and caches the returned objects. Correct?

yes.

> This makes sense when using ICP.

you can have that without HTCP/ICP too, but is't better/faster to have one
of those 2 protocols supported on parent cache.

> But since I would like to limit requests going through my internet
> uplink I think, without ICP, it would make sense to first look up an
> object in the local cache.

how do you mean this? do you have more thn one caches? configure them as

> If it doesn´t exist locally forward the request to the parent cache which
> takes then care if it has cached the object and maybe forwards the request
> to the original site. I would then need squid to cache the returned
> objects locally no matter if they come from the original site or the
> parent cache.

squid caches the content fetched from remote caches, unless you set
proxy-only option for those caches.

> Would that be possible? Is this the behaviour of a sibling cache
> eventually? In some FAQ I read that sibling caches should not be located
> towards the route to the internet, so that is why I am asking.

I intend to live forever - so far so good.